Monday, July 7, 2014

Dorset Palaeoeskimo Shaman's Mask is Angry

This is the second of two complete wooden masks found at the Button Point site on Bylot Island, Nunavut.  This one looks much more angry or aggressive than the other.  You can see pegs on the upper lip and over the eyes where fur eyebrows and mustache would have been attached to the mask.  The video below begins by zooming out of one of the suspension holes on either side of the mask where some sort of cord or rope would have been secured to tie the mask to the wearer's face.  Both masks are in the collection of the Canadian Museum of History.



Photo Credits: Tim Rast
Courtesy of the Canadian Museum of History

1 comment:

  1. My name is Mathias I found out about this mask via the book "Shamanic regalia in the far north". I am a gold smith in Denmark where my focus is on jewelry with a magical og shamanistic origin. I would love if I somehow could aquire your 3D model of this mask? It would help enormously in my current process of making a pendant of this mask.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails