Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Beothuk Pendants

Ochre Stained Beothuk Reproductions
Here's a look at a few Beothuk reproductions that I made for The Rooms several years ago to use in education kits and public programming.  I've talked about the gaming pieces and bowl in an older post, but I don't think I've shown pendants on this blog yet.  I'll be making a couple more in the next week or two, so I've been keeping my eyes open for good caribou bones to make them from.  I'm always struck by how thin the pendants are.  The ones shown here are made from long bones, but I'm thinking that I might experiment with caribou mandibles on the next pendants I make.  The bone is thin enough, and the triangular shape of many of the pendants seem like a good fit for the jaw bones - plus I have tonne of caribou mandibles right now.

Pendants like this were sewn onto Beothuk clothing as ornaments and found on sinew cords, suggesting they were also worn as necklaces.
Photo Credits: Tim Rast

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous work Tim! These are some of my favorite reproductions.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails