Friday, October 3, 2014

Beothuk Quiver, Done and Drying

The base of the quiver with red ochre stain.  The
disc on the left is caribou leather that sits in the
bottom of the quiver to help protect the arrow tips
 and the bottom of the quiver.  The ribbon at the
 top is caribou raw hide for the quiver strap.
This isn't quite the reveal post.  The birch bark quiver is fully assembled, but in order to really call it a Beothuk reproduction, it needs a good red ochre stain.  I have two coats on, but as I write this, its still pretty damp, so I can't do the final photos to show the finished product, but here's a glimpse of the completed quiver in its unpainted state (below) and with an oil, water, egg, and ochre stain application (right).  The ochre will simultaneously colour the reproduction and add a bit of grit to the surface which helps antique the piece. I don't want it to be a thick red paint, however - I want the patterning of the birchbark to peak through.  So far, so good.  The stain is enhancing the patterns and textures.  I can't wait to put it all together once its dry.  Photos and more comments next week!
This is a view down the quiver from the open end.  You can see a small sapling bent into a ring and lashed around the upper lip to strengthen the opening.  I used a simple whip stitch, which was used by the Beothuk in the same way on their birch bark basketry.  On their very nice baskets the spruce root would be wound around the sapling between the whips so that the stick is completely encased in root.   I wasn't that ambitious and I wanted the sapling detail to be visible for interpretive purposes, so I left those spaces open.

Photo Credits: Tim Rast

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails