Monday, June 20, 2011

Recent Indian Reproductions

I found these pictures on my hard drive from 2006.  They are a Recent Indian knife and scraper reproduction.  I can't recall who the client was, but I think it was either The Rooms or the Province.

In both tools, the stone blade is held in the wood handle with hide glue and rawhide.  Each piece is covered in Red Ochre.

The scraper is a thin, flake scraper and the style of the handle is loosely based on northern scrapers.  To the best of my knowledge there has never been a Recent Indian scraper handle found for a stone endscraper in an archaeological site in Newfoundland.
Photo Credits: Tim Rast

2 comments:

  1. I know this is a little out of your area of expertise, but would you ever make viking ice skates? I once dug one up at a training dig (worn out apparently, hence it having been tossed in a rubbish heap). I've been curious ever since as to what a pair in working condition would look like...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Victoriana - sure - I'm willing to try anything!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails