|A Beothuk Bow and Arrow|
|The twisted rawhide makes|
a great bow string
|Drawing the bow. I'm not much of an archer, but I can say with all honestly that I've hit the broadside of this barn. Of course, I was aiming at a cardboard box in front of it, but still... I hit it.|
|The pith canal in both finished bows, |
compare the groove to the groove in
fragments A and D/E below
Here is an index of the previous blog posts related to this build, from earliest to most recent:
|Beothuk Bow Fragments |
from Howley 1914
- What Type of Wood were Beothuk Bows Made From?
- A Day in the Woods
- Starting a Beothuk Bow Reproduction
- Beothuk Bow Blanks
- ...Seasoned over a fire
- String of Plaited Deerskin
- Tillering and some Fall Scheduling
- ...Flattened away towards either end...
- The sticks are not selected with any great nicety...
|Beothuk bows, arrows, and arrowheads|
1, 4: Lori White
2, 3, 5, 6, 8: Tim Rast
7: After Plate XXXIII from Howley 1914