Friday, January 18, 2013

Pre-Dorset Serrated Point Reproduction

Here's a little serrated point I made today.  Its a Pre-Dorset style reproduction based on an artifact that we found on Baffin Island last summer.  I made it for the guy on the crew who first spotted the original.  Its made from flint, because it was the best match that I had for the colour and texture of the artifact.  I'm not cataloging any of the artifacts this winter, so the reproduction is based on photographs of the artifact.

This is the original artifact as it was found lying on the ground surface.  It was a little over 3cm long and finely serrated on both edges.  Its the sort of point that looks like it may have been more comfortable on an arrow than on a harpoon. 
Photo Credit: Tim Rast


Related Posts with Thumbnails