Friday, June 10, 2011

Rhyolite Jewelry and Changing Seasons

I finished off one last wholesale order this week.  These rhyolite necklaces, earrings, and reproduction Beothuk arrow will be available for purchase in the gift shop in the Burnside Archaeology Centre this summer.  These are the last pieces to come out of the workshop for several months.  I'm really going to miss the studio, but its time to head North and get re-invigourated by cool air and 24 hours of sunlight.

I'm leaving next Tuesday for archaeological fieldwork in Nunavut.  I will be back in St. John's for a week or two later in the summer, but I really won't be home again until September.  I'm closing up the Elfshot workshop for the season right now.  This summmer, I'm holding one of the permits on the project, which means a little more responsibility in the field and a lot more follow-up work and report writing in the fall.  I'm afraid I won't have much time to devote to Elfshot again until the winter.

I'll share what I can from the field throughout the summer and I've set up a bunch of pre-scheduled posts to try to keep the Monday, Wednesday, and Friday posting schedule uninterupted for the days that I don't have internet access or when work gets too hectic.

Photo Credits: Tim Rast

2 comments:

  1. Where in Nunavut do you go? Baffin Island? And all those pesky permits! I'm already out of the field but will be doing another short dig in July/August. But I still got to get all the permits in order!

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Nunavut, there is a single window in the spring to apply and receive permits. Applications need to be in by March 31st and everyone hears back about now on the process. Between the community consultations and the brief summers, I guess it makes sense for the Department of Culture, Language, Elders, and Youth to just deal with permit applications once a year. Yeah, I'll fly into and out of Iqaluit on Baffin Island.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails