Friday, February 8, 2013

Copper arrowheads and antler foreshafts

Roughed out antler foreshafts and arrowheads
I'm still working away on those Copper Inuit arrows in the workshop this week.  I have most of the pieces roughed out, including the copper arrowheads, pine shafts and antler foreshafts.  Now, I just need to to start the fiddly work of assembling all of the pieces.  I need four arrows for the order and I'd like the foreshafts and main shafts of all the arrows to be interchangeable, but I also want each of the arrows to have their own distinct look.  I don't want them to look like four exact copies of the same thing.  I plan to add some barbs to some of the foreshafts and will probably make the arrowheads a little more individualistic. The finished arrows should be between 80 and 90 cm long, with about 20 cm of that length coming from the antler foreshaft.


I'm pretty happy with the look of the arrowheads right now, but I may shave off a few millimeters here and there to  exaggerate the differences between the points.  Each one is unique, but I think I could bring that out a bit more if some were narrower or shorter.

Photo Credits: Tim Rast

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails