Monday, October 3, 2011

Splash for the Cure

An excellent turnout!
We had a great soggy Run for the Cure yesterday in St. John's. Despite running in the leading edge of an approaching tropical storm there were thousands of participants.  As many as I've ever seen.  Our little team shrunk a bit, with a couple of our anchor runners sidelined with injuries.  But I think Elaine and I made up for it with enthusiasm.

Tim and Elaine, happy.
It was a slow year for me; I ran the course in 31:11.  I was kind of expecting that.  However, I did achieve my goal for the year, which was to run the whole route.  This is the first time I've ran a full 5k since the spring, so I'm satisfied.  Maybe next year I'll be faster. I've set the bar nice and low.  But an event like this is really about the fundraising and I really want to thank everyone who donated to the cause and sponsored me!

Thumbs up to the RNC!
The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary was great.  There were a lot of officers out marking the course and cheering on the runners and walkers.  The mounted unit was on hand, which is always nice to see, even on a rainy day.  They helped make the event better.

Really St. John's? This is your support?
The City of St. John's, on the other hand, had traffic enforcement officers out, but instead of cheering on the runners they were ticketing their cars.  I'm hoping to hear that the city will be donating the money raised from those tickets to breast cancer research.  People were parked in "no parking" zones, no doubt about it, but I'd rather see the Run for the Cure benefit from the tickets written at this event than know that I live in a city that preys on charity fun runs as cash grabs.

Edit: October 1, 2017: 26:11

Photo Credit: Tim Rast

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails